Volunteer Stewards

In regard to licensing legislation where volunteer stewards are used at events where alcohol is being served, for example, in village halls and community facilities managed by voluntary committees, then they will not require a Door Supervisor License under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001.  This exemption is allowed on the basis that they are truly ‘volunteers’ and receive no form of reward, or ‘payment in kind’ (as defined by the Inland Revenue) for their role.

However your Local Authority Licensing Board may require you to have Licensed Door Supervisors and if so they will advise how many they require you to have.  

For more information contact your Local Authority or the Security Industry Authority.

Other Community Toolkit Topics to look at:

Further sources of information

We are always interested in your views and experience of using the Community Toolkit. If you have any feedback or questions please complete our Feedback Form

The Community Toolkit is owned and maintained by Skye and Lochalsh CVO Conditions of Use
Last Updated 05/09/2012 12:47