Public Performing

Music Licensing and Not-For-Profit

The Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (CDPA) affects not-for-profit organisations such as charities, community halls, churches, voluntary organisations and social enterprises.  Public Performance Licencing (PPL) is the music licensing company working on behalf of performers and record companies, licensing sound recordings and music videos for use in broadcast.

Under this act a license is required and fees are payable for any use of recorded music for public performance.

The cost of the license will depend on the type of organisation you are and the extent of your use of music. 

Other Community Toolkit Topics to look at:

Further sources of information

We are always interested in your views and experience of using the Community Toolkit. If you have any feedback or questions please complete our Feedback Form

The Community Toolkit is owned and maintained by Skye and Lochalsh CVO Conditions of Use
Last Updated 17/04/2013 14:04